Meet Steve Bean
*As March approaches we are going to use this blog space to introduce you to potential 2013 Peoria Chiefs players. We do not have any inside information on our roster and nothing will be official until the end of March. But with the affiliation change it is time to get familiar with some faces and names that we could see on the diamond in Peoria this summer, if not opening day then sometime during 2013. Over the next few weeks we’ll take a look at 2012 and 2011 draftees plus foreign born players who excelled in Batavia, Johnson City and GCL Cardinals in 2012.*
Yesterday you met Supplemental pick Patrick Wisdom, today meet Steve Bean, also taken in the 2012 Supplemental round, seven picks after Wisdom. Bean is young, and could be just the second player born in 1993 to wear the Chiefs uniform (2012 OF Yasiel Balaguert was born 1/9/93).
Catcher – Steve Bean. Ht: 6’2 Wt: 180 DOB: 9/15/93 Bats:L Throws: R
Twitter: @SteveBean_ (There’s an underscore after the n)
Residence: Rockwall, TX
Acquired: Drafted in 1st supplemental round (59th overall) in 2012
School: Rockwall (TX) High School
- Named the #11 prospect in the Gulf Coast League by Baseball America after the 2012 season
- Made his pro debut on June 19 for the Johnson City Cardinals in the Appalachian League and drove in a run with a 1-for-3 night
- Hit his first pro home run on July 23 at Princeton while driving in three
- Played in 24 games in Johnson City batting .125 with a home run and four doubles while driving in five
- Threw out 12-of-25 would be base stealers in Appy League
- Sent down to the GCL Cardinals on July 28
- Finished the season batting .320 with seven RBI and four doubles in 15 games for the GCL Cardinals
- Collected three hits on August 23 at the GCL Nationals
- Hit safely in six straight games from August 4-13
- Went 6-for-15 (.400) against LHP in the GCL
- Overall threw out 16-of-43 base stealers in his first pro season.
- Drafted the day before high school graduation
- Hit .438 at Rockwall High School with four home runs, nine doubles and a team-high 32 RBI in 2012
- Was the only Dallas/Fort Worth-area high school player drafted in the first day in 2012
- Named to the 2011 All-District 10-4A First Team
- Unanimous pick as District 10-4A Defensive MVP in 2011
- Signed to play college baseball at the University of Texas who also lost first rounder Courtney Hawkins (White Sox) and supplemental pick Tyler Gonzales (Blue Jays) who was taken a pick after Bean.
Miscellaneous Notes: Played for the Houston Banditos in the 2010 WWBA World Championships…Participated in the 2011 Frisco Celebrity Home Run Derby…Coach at the Big League Sports Academy
Check back on Tuesday for a look at another potential Chiefs player for 2013.