Thursday Post Game Thoughts & Highlights
No real way to sugar coat it tonight, tough game for the Chiefs and a tough series offensively with 2 runs scored against the Dragons. Tip your cap to Dayton as they made big pitches in key situations and also got clutch hits. Here’s our game recap and my thoughts.
- Dayton jumped on the Chiefs tonight in the first five batters with three runs. Unfortunately that would be all the runs they needed as the Chiefs collected seven hits, all singles, and were shutout for the first time in 2014.
- Little plays made a big difference Thursday, even ones that don’t show up in the Box Score. A throw to the wrong base allowed Dayton to move up 90 feet in the first and put two in scoring position. The next play was a bloop 2-run single instead of a caught pop-up because the infield was in. Later in the game a throw behind a runner caught off base instead of to the base in front of the runner allowed two Dragons to move up 90 feet. Small plays, with big ramifications.
- The first game off for Mason Katz and Ronald Castillo, I’d expect both back in the lineup Friday.
- Carson Kelly kept swinging a hot bat with a line drive single pulled to left and a couple hard-hit outs.
- Matthew Young had a nice game with two solid hits, one to LF and one to RF. He had the only multi-hit game for the Chiefs.
- More good defense for the Chiefs tonight. Great catch in shallow LF by SS Juan Herrera and a diving catch in CF for CJ McElroy Jr.
- Jimmy Reed battled through six innings on 94 pitches for Peoria’s first quality start of the season. He got out of a couple tough innings after giving up three in the first and showed what a competitor he is.
- The Chiefs need to break through with RISP. Now 0-for-11 in the last two games with RISP the Chiefs have just three runs scored in the last 34 innings of play.
- That’s three home games and no home runs for either team. Dozer Park plays as a pitcher’s park and has for the last few years but it’s strange to see three straight games with no home runs for either team. Let’s see if that changes in the Bowling Green series.
Here are tonight’s video highlights from Matt & Brian with ScheffTech Productions. Thanks for reading!