About Last Night
First the game – The Chiefs beat Cedar Rapids last night 5-3. Here is the game recap from the Chiefs website plus the story from the Peoria Journal Star’s Dave Eminian with a few notes from the game but a lot on the Monday ring ceremony.
Lot to like from Monday’s game.
- Alex Reyes threw strikes and pitched to contact, limiting the walks he had issued in his first two starts. He also displayed the sick curveball that scouts love.
- Chris Perry cruised through 3 2/3 innings allowing just a solo homer and also did his job backing up third to get a crucial out on an overthrow in the fifth inning. Sometimes it really is the little things that lead to a win. If he isn’t backing up third there, Vavra likely scores for a 3-1 Cedar Rapids lead and the #3 hitter is coming to the plate. Instead, getting the out at third kept the Chiefs deficit at one run and the play ended the inning.
- Clutch hits all night long from Kenny Peoples-Walls, Mason Katz and Jake Stone.
- The Chiefs scored twice with 2 outs in the 6th inning to take a 3-2 lead.
- Great approaches at the plate by Steve Bean (3 walks) and Carson Kelly (3b, 1b, robbed by the 1st baseman of a RBI).
- A clean 1-2-3 inning by Joe Scanio for his first save since 2012.
- Chiefs sure looked more comfortable at home than they did last weekend in Fort Wayne. Hopefully a good sign for this homestand.
Highlights from Monday’s win from the Chiefs YouTube Page: